Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day dreaming

On one of my office computers, my screen saver is a mountain. I needed a change from the previous autumn leaves. So from the generic choices provided to me, I selected this mountain. I'm only in this office a couple of days a week but I'm starting to see more of the photograph that what is really there...

A cold morning with a light breeze. The mountain is dusted with snow and a small cloud lingers at the summit. The moon is still out, bright and reflecting the soon-to-rise sun. Blues and purples soon to transform to greens and yellows. I see myself at a trail head with hiking boots and a backpack. Preparations completed for a journey to the apex.

There is an excitement and anticipation of accomplishing the trek. And the realization that there will also be pain, exhaustion, and doubts. But the only way to the top is to battle up the hill. Somehow I see both the joy of new perspective and the struggle up as essential. I reminisce on past adventures and the success. And the labor. This is a new adventure. Mysterious and beckoning.

Time will tell the duration of the climb. And when I reach the peak, I will look back and have a story to tell. Another scene in my bigger story. Another slice of all of our stories.

...Some days I have to remind myself to get back to work. The mountain will still be there even when I have other tasks. It is another reminder to "embrace beauty, and live life to its fullest" (Kyle Lake). Another year to keep climbing new mountains.

No comments: