Saturday, November 1, 2008

many thanks

So many days I am overwhelemed by what I would like to change. Or by the bad things...often seflishly...in my life. Or turning on the news, the recent election, the downturn in the economy, bad things that people do to each other. Moments I'm consumed by our fallen state, our huge departure from what life should be, our destructive ways. And in the midst of it...

Days of hope. Days of knowing that there is still good. Still things worth believing in. A rain coming into bring a clearer picture of what I still should fight for. Moments where I remember that depsite the bad and depressing there is still blessings. Despite the propensity humans have for unimaginable wrongs, there is still amazing capabilities for good, grace, mercy, and love. And discussion over coffee with a couple of friends was another reminder of the good that still keeps me hoping. Keeps my faith alive even when the world threatens to paralyze me.

So in a quite moment, with the rain falling outside, I can only smile. Thank God for the good in my life and trust He's bigger than me. Bigger than where we've gone in our lives. Bigger than disease, poverty, greed, hate, and the countless other things that humans do to push us farther away from a being that finds a way to love us. And He loves us enough to sometimes sit back and wait for us...so that we're not merely robots but have a choice. In my countless bad choices, in the rainfall I'm choosing today to have a moment of thanksgiving. To have a moment of hope that someday things will return to the way things should have always been. To have a moment to be filled up by a love that seems impossible.

No comments: