Monday, March 2, 2009

A welcome detour.

If I were a character in a novel, I'm currently in the chapter where I've headed off on a detour on my journey. Or maybe in the middle of a few chapters. The scenic route. It still gets me to where I want to be (or at least where I think I'm headed). And it's that special chapter that changes the core of who I am. In fact, while it could appear that I walked off the course, I'm beginning to think this time off the common path was really more planned all along. Th at special story line that some may skip over but it adds the richness and beauty of the character development.

It's the chapter that brings in new friend who brings clarity, redemption and appreciation for other relationships. A lot of laughter. Serious discussions. Honesty. Accountability. Silliness. A catalyst for what others view as trouble. Grace. Lots of coffee. A closeness that some misinterpret (and much more laughter about that). But something I cherish beyond what I can express. It's been a comfort. A learning experience. It's one of those rare relationships in life that I know where ever I go, the impact of the time so far will have lasting effects. And while paths can always change, I hope it's the character that remains in my story for a long time.

It's the chapter that I can no longer imagine what the destination could look like without this character in my life. It's forever changed how I will finish off the story. And while as the character in my own story, who I am will dictate the rest of the story. But I hope the author doesn't change this companion on my destination. There is a new sense of excitement and joy of new chapters to unfold. What time and experiences may bring. And as characters come and go, I hope this particular one sticks around for a long time.

No comments: