Tuesday, February 5, 2008

And there were so many fewer questions...

And there were so many fewer questions
When stars were still just the holes to heaven...
(Jack Johnson, "Holes to Heaven").

This phrase of the song seems to catch me every time. There is a mystery to life that is sometimes gets lost in our world. In the business, the science, religion, just day to day life. The last few years I've been learning to open my eyes to the little things in life that remind me that there is more to our world than just was we can see, taste, smell, hear, feel. But it's through our senses that we can experience these moments. Besides a big push to get myself in better physical shape, one of my desires this year is to find creative ways of expressing my faith and exploring the spiritual world--to find God beyond the walls of a church or confines of religion and hold on to the mystery and awe of who God is. I've been thinking of starting a blog for months now but made excuses to push it off. But the little things that keep coming into my head need to find an outlet.


Hopefully as I do this more, the format will look better and I'll find new ways of posting pictures and other mediums. For now, most of the blog will be thoughts on the things that inspire, provoke thought, make me feel something (anger, joy, wonder...). Likely people, conversations, animals (yes, my cat Thornton), nature, even a little hockey will probably be much of the inspiration. I hope that as I seek to take on more risks in my life that I will also take the risk to be more vunerable and open with this blog. I need a way to express all the things that go on inside my head. And my faith plays a role, good or bad, in daily life (both the big things and small).



"Holes to Heaven"....also reminds me of the sky. More specifically how the sky directs my thoughts to God's creation. While I will say I have a belief in evolution even if more in the broadest sense at times, I can not help being amazed at God's hand when I see the morning sky, the clouds that seem to paint daily pictures. Or stars (when their visible), or the rays of light that brighten a day. Sometimes it seems God sends his love each day on my way to work with a beautiful arrangement of clouds each morning. And while I have a grasp of the scientific explination of what clouds are and what they do, I cannot help but be in awe that they're actually there to begin with. On the way home from Tahoe this weekend, the clouds were almost unreal. I wanted to fly so I could reach into them. Those thoughts make it hard to believe that there isn't a God who exists and loves us beyond our imagination. I don't always understand Him or our world. But these thoughts are my way to see him beyond theology, a sermon, dogma or other ways that can often leave him cold, indifferent, at times non-existent. I find theology facinating. But I don't want to forget that as a human, what I see and understand is only a glimsp of who God is. So this blog will be a path to keep seeing bigger, opening my eyes and hearts and even starting new converstaions...

2 comments:

Photochick said...

I've always had an attachment to the sky. It always "draws me up." Not sure if that makes sense, but thats how it feels. I miss laying on the soccer field at Bethel College just watching it. Thanks for share your thoughts, now I want to go outside lay down and talk to God!

Nora said...

Welcome to the blog world, honey! I hope you find it's a great place to express yourself, your thoughts, hopes, struggles and discover new things.

First things, first. Change your comments section to accept more than google/blogger logins. (I'm sure you'll get there as you get used to this!) =)

Love ya!