Friday, February 22, 2008

Number 14 and Number 20


I completed Number 14 on my 40 Things to Do Before 40 list. Snowshoing. I was in Colorado recently with my best friend from college and went snow shoeing twice when we were there. When I got there, Kelly said we were going to the Army/Navy Surplus store to rent the shoes. I immediatly pictured some of previous surplus stores--I thought it was a little strange to be visiting a store full of camoflauge and actual surplus items I've seen in previous visits to these surplus store but I was in for a surprise. The store in Boulder was like a treasure chest--not like any previous stores I remember. It was more like a sports store filled with camping items, clothes, snow equipment and much more. I was in love with the store. Colorado was already seducing me with a sports store. And we hadn't even gotten to the scenery yet. So we rented some snow shoes and headed up to Brainard Lake.


The trail was well marked and most of what we followed were small hills through the woods. An hour and a half later we never quite made it to the lake, but I had the time of my life. Starting out sunny the hike ended up in some light snow when the clouds came it. But I loved the quiet, the adventure, and the exercise.


So instead of snow mobiling on Monday, we decided to save some money and go snow shoing again at Sunlight Moutain in Glenwood Springs. The boots weren't as good and the scenery was more open. But the clean air and moutain full of aspsens and clean white snow made for another good trip. The first two hours were mostly uphill. And with a little experience and some ski poles we ventured off the groomed trails at times to have some adventures. We almost made it to the top of the ridge but ran out of energy and headed home (with me falling waist deep into one of the snow banks--Kelly says I looked pretty freaked out as I scrambled to get myself back on top of the snow!). Another 45 minutes we made it back down the hill. And despite our shoes not fitting correctly, we had another exicting adventure. I was hooked was convinced I could do that every weekend. Too bad the nearest show is a few hours away for most of the season!




As for number 20...I'm planning on hiking Half-Dome this June with my brother, dad, and one of my dad's co-workers. I need a few hikes before then but exicted for a new challenge. The more healthy I am becoming the more adventure I am seeking. It feels great to finally do some things that I've wanted to do for along time. I've noticed how restless I become now if I'm not doing something active--and I'm exited about the progress I've made so far. Almost 30 pounds lost but I feel like I've gain so many more experiences and enjoyment so far! My goal to hit number one on this list still is a little over 35 pounds left--and I'm more excited about the opportunities the loss will provide than the actual end number I'm planning on.

2 comments:

Steve Workman said...

Excellent stuff, Shannon. Although a sports store is hardly my idea of fun, it's great to see you get things crossed off of your list. Here's to the hike, that remaining 35 pounds and the rest of the list!!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet! It sounds like you had a blast. I'm glad it was such a fun adventure. Despite yearning for the coming warmer weather, I envy you the beauty and scenery!