Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Barack Obama on Faith and Politics...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid353515028?bctid=416343938

It's no secret to those around me that I support Barack Obama. I know he's still a politician (there's an inherent distrust)...but I am impressed by his words, intellegence, seemingly authentic personality. I don't know if he's most qualified compared to Clinton or McCain but if anything he has inspired me to be a better person. I certainly will base my vote in November on more than just "I like him" but the more I read about his views and hear his debates and speeches the more I respect him as an individual. "Audacity of Hope" a great book on so many social issues and a good introduction to some of his views and past involvements in politics and his community.

So this video was posted on another site and it affirmed at least why I like him--if not just as a presidental canidate but as a person. He's the kind of person I would like to sit down and have a converstation. (It's also no secret that this is not the way I feel about our current president). He does not deny his faith, nor shoves it down another's throat. I don't know his exact doctrine of faith but even if I disagreed he's someone that I think would listen and wrestle through the differences. There is a balance to his discussion about the good and bad of relgion and faith.

The video was a speech to Sojurners (a Christian organization that is committed to social changes like helping those in poverty) and specifically discussing the role of faith with in the context politics. The talk starts out a little slow but I agree with a lot of his view. Barak had some good thoughts on how politics (on both sides) have exploited and twisted and even attacked faith to suit their needs. But he does not deny that faith is an important part of how many Americans decide to vote.

Even if not our future president, I pray that Obama continues to inspire others and work for our country as a leader. I look forward to seeing the impact this man may have in years to come.

1 comment:

Steve Workman said...

So, I copied this and posted it on my own blog, too. Snapshot of my comments ...

"[It's important to] understand that this is not a political endorsement of Obama or the democrats. Rather, I think there is some interesting commentary for Christians. Thoughts that are sticking with me:

* Maybe we should be a bit more "live and let live"
* Conversation and dialogue could be good things for Christians to use to be people known for peacemaking, resolution, reconciliation - people known for building effective, strong communities
* Could it be that there is a fear that if certain moral beliefs are not enforced by local/state/national law that those same long held beliefs could be proven wrong, or at the least not as important or fundamental to society as we think them?"